All contents of the Life Story Commons web site are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.
Users are free to browse, read, study, do research, and copy or download life stories in the archive with attribution, for personal, non-commercial purposes only, but cannot make derivative works of any kind from the life stories.
Any other publication, reproduction, or transmission by any means mechanical or electronic of the life story information in the Archive without our permission is strictly prohibited. We ask that you submit a request for such use to the Life Story Commons by email.
If you submit your life story to the archive, you retain copyright to your own life story and grant permission to the Life Story Commons to include and post your life story in the archive, to use it for promotional, commercial, and non-commercial purposes, such as advertisements, books, and other products, and agree that your life story will become and remain the property of the Life Story Commons.
BY COMPLETING THIS AGREEMENT, CLICKING THE BUTTON THAT SAYS “I ACCEPT,” AND PROVIDING LIFE STORY CONTENT YOU ARE ENTERING INTO A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT CONVEYING MUTUALLY IMPORTANT LEGAL RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL TERMS HEREIN, YOU SHOULD INSTEAD CLICK “CANCEL” TO EXIT THIS AGREEMENT. BY ACCEPTING THIS AGREEMENT AND PROVIDING LIFE STORY INFORMATION YOU WILL BE UNDERSTOOD TO HAVE ACCEPTED ITS TERMS.
Non-Exclusive Release Agreement
In consideration for assistance with composing and potentially preserving my life story, subject to my own retained right to use the information, I hereby:
- Grant to the Life Story Commons, a constituent of the University of Maine System Board of Trustees (UMS, a nonprofit educational institution existing under the laws of the State of Maine at 16 Central St. Bangor, Maine 04401) the right to record, store, index, archive, modify, publish, provide third parties access, disseminate, commercialize, publicize, and otherwise make use of my submitted life story information in perpetuity as it wishes in photographic, print, video, electronic, digital, or any other medium that may be invented in the future, throughout the world, without compensation, with or without mention of my name, and in so doing waive my right to any associated privacy.
- Release UMS, its employees, constituents, and agents, from all claims, damages and expenses incurred by me arising out of or in connection with the life story information, except to the extent that those claims, damages and expenses are the direct result of the negligence of UMS; PROVIDED that any liability for UMS under this Agreement shall be limited by the provisions and limitations of the Maine Tort Claims Act, 14 M.R.S.A §8101, et seq.
- Represent and warrant that I am at least 18 years old.
- Represent and warrant that all life story information submitted by me is truthful and accurate, is my own original work, and does not compromise the confidentiality, privacy, publicity, or infringe the copyright or other proprietary rights of any other party.
- Agree to not use abusive, obscene, defamatory, libelous, racist, or sexually explicit language in my life story information.
- Grant the Life Story Commons the right to lightly edit my life story content to ensure that it meets the standards set in the above two items, and for any copyediting and formatting, if needed. No amount of editing will relieve me of the promises and obligations, indemnity, and limitations of liability I have agreed to herein. If my life story is deemed to not meet the standards set in the above two items, I further grant the Life Story Commons the right to refuse to post my life story. When posted, I also agree that my life story will become and remain the property of the Life Story Commons.
- Agree to indemnify UMS, its constituents, employees, and affiliates, from and against all loss, damage, cost and expense (including reasonable attorney’s fees) suffered or sustained by UMS or for which the UMS may be held or become liable by reason of injury (including death) to persons or property or other causes whatsoever, in connection with the use of Information.
- Agree that this Release should be construed and interpreted pursuant to the laws of the State of Maine, and if any portion thereof is held invalid, request the remainder continue in full force and effect.
The Life Story Commons is not responsible for the content of any sites which may be linked to this site. These links are provided for your convenience only and you access them at your own risk.
IN SUBMITTING MY LIFE STORY, I EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT I PROVIDE LIFE STORY INFORMATION AT MY OWN RISK.
I UNDERSTAND THAT SERVICES OF THE LIFE STORY COMMONS ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, AND THAT NO WARRANTY IS BEING MADE THAT THE SERVICES WILL MEET MY REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, OR ERROR-FREE.
IN NO EVENT SHALL I HOLD UMS LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL INCIDENTIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AREEMENT OR THE SUBJECT MATTER, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER UMS KNOWS OR SHOULD KNOW OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FOREGOING EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY TO ALL CLAIMS AND ACTIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER GROUNDS.
I declare that I completely understand and have fully informed myself of the terms and conditions of this Release by having read it, or having had it read to me before agreeing to its terms.